Poster Bed Makeover

This is another classic before and after! 
The best part I got this bed for $2 at a garage sale!
WAHOOOO! 
I gave it two coats of a Benjamin Moore "MISTINT" Satin Impervo Paint.  It was oil based. 
I always check the mistints first.  Since I discovered this I hardly ever buy paint retail!
Another tip I recently read is that most paint stores run a 40% off sale once a month.  You can stock up on
base colors and have it tinted later when you know what color you need.  This would work perfect for projects that you need more paint.

This story gets even better.  We already SOLD the bed, and had 3 backups.  We love refinishing furniture.  It is becoming our side business on top of keeping up with our 11 children!!   Like so many others in this economy our family budget is TIGHT! SO...helping out financially is very important.  We have transformed several CURB ALERTS or pay $5 or less, so that we are not straining the family budget.  It is so easy to get caught in the spending money to make money cycle.  Plus when you only pay $5 or less there is no pressure to sell an item for a big price.  Its a win/win! 
We love being stay-at-home moms,
 and the flexibility of this job helps keep that the priority.
Here is the LOW DOWN:
We only paid $2 for this solid, real wood piece, and we sold it for $75 on craigslist the day we listed it.  We also sold our Union Jack Table, and Bench.  We see alot of other bloggers talking about selling their pieces, but rarely do We see how much they sold thier items for.  Money is a funny thing and many don't like to talk about it.  We always want to know that info.  Its so hard to price pieces sometimes.  So next time you are at a sale, pondering and questioning if there is any profit in a piece...BUY IT!! or we just might! 
Hope this info helps someone out there. 

Comments

  1. What a great buy, at $2 and then reselling for $75, well done! The frame does look lovely with a fresh coat of paint!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what people are making on their work every darn day!! Thanks so much for sharing. The other variable is market. Some places just have a larger market for certain items than others as well... Now if we can just get a few more gals out there is post this stuff..... Thanks for the honesty. It's refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooooooooo cute! love that pale pink color, its amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do! found you over at blue cricket, stop by for a visit sometime :)

    Jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 DOLLARS!! Holy Moly you girls did good. Thanks for posting your pricing details too.

    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bed looks absolutely wonderful! Your buyers got a good deal! I've always wondered about pricing so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is an incredible bed!!! I love it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed! I'm a SAHM in Omaha just starting up my side business too. Hope to be just as successful as you are! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this piece...I just started doing redo's LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, so where are you selling your furniture? On Craig's List? Etsy? Your own shop? On the street? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Fondly, Tami
    www.thisandthatfromtami.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This bed is so pretty, such a lovely color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This would be a great project to link up to ,y scrappy Saturday's kinky come by on sat and link up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the pink! And what a fabulous price - $2?! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you just LOOOOOVE craigslist! I blog about my awesome yard sale finds and great turnarounds also, but have received some flack posting my prices. I think it adds to the fun so keep posting!!! (we do the same thing, by the way! Stay at home moms making it work. check out my blog glendoratreasurehunter.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color and I'm not a "pink" girly girl, but that bed rocks! you guys did wonderful. Thanks a bunch for that tip about the paint, I get emails from SW about sales and I'm usually out the door buying for my next project, but never thought about stocking up on the base and tinting later. I'm going to share your tip with my friends.

    Love your blog and your frugal tips. Curbside shopping is the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. SCORE!!!! What a deal & it's just lovely all pretty in pink! I'm putting it in the spotlight at the PoPP.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The bed is so beautiful! I love that you bought and sold it and made such a great profit. You lucked out getting a $2 bed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so glad you shared your prices. I've been thinking about painting and selling, but I'm at a loss on what a good investment price for me is. Starting with a next to nothing investment is a good way to go. The bed is so cute in pink, girls, the lines are already feminine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for every other fantastic post. The place else may anybody get
    that type of information in such a perfect method of writing?
    I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the search for
    such information.

    Feel free to visit my weblog :: http://dotegypt.net/home/blog/view/1134201/work-from-home

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. PLEASE LEAVE A COMMENT. I LOVE your Feedback!